Monday, May 23, 2011

Why do we write?

There is no one answer to the question of why do we write. Some do it to express themselves, others to make a statement, some for money, still others for fun.
I can tell you why I write, though. I want to emulate those writers who express feelings and thoughts I didn't know I had until I saw them in print. The idea that someone, upon reading something of mine, will put down the page, or raise their eyes from the screen, and think "That's so true! I hadn't realized it until now!"
Is this conceit? Maybe...
I remember when I was very young, back in the glorious seventies. We were immortal, we were destined to become great..., great what? I don´t know. But our names would be written down somewhere. We were going to do wonderful things. I was going to sing and become famous. Now that is conceit. Having a good voice was certainly not enough.
Can something written in my blog cause someone to have an epiphany? Only time and some more work on my part will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment